Windows 2000::Exchange 2000::Restoring mailbox items
It stinks to restore a single item or single mailbox. Basically, setup a parallel environment and restore the entire server
The following details the process.
Recovering a single Exchange mail item
Document from Live System:
a. Exchange 2000 organization name
b. Name of the administrative group
c. Name of the storage group
d. The logical database name
e. The LegacyExchangeDN value for the admin group object
- Setup the Recovery Server-Install Base Server
- Setup Forest and run ForestPrep
- Install Exchange System Management Tools
- Create Admin Group
- Install Messaging and Collaboration Services
- Install Exchange Service Pack
- Configure Storage Group and Database Names
- Restore database
- Connect Mailbox to AD Account
- Export mailbox items
- Import mailbox items to the production server
Setup the Recovery Server-Windows 2000 standalone server
- Same software versions must be used to build the recovery server.
- Set DNS server setting to itself.
- NNTP and SMTP must be installed for MS Exchange
Setup Forest and run ForestPrep
Run the Dcpromo promote the server to DC.
The name of the forest doesn't matter.
Might be prompted to install DNS.
- Start Menu > Run
- Click Next
- Select Domain Controller for a new domain
and click Next
- Select Create a new domain tree and
- Select Create a new forest of domain trees
and click Next
- Type RECOVER.COM (for example) in Full
DNS name box and click Next
- Click Next on NetBIOS domain screen
- Accept defaults, click Next
- Accept the default, click Next
- Click Ok to DNS information message
- Select Yes, Install and configure DNS, click Next
- Select Permissions compatible only with
Windows 2000 servers, click Next
- On Administrator password screen type password, confirm again, click Next
- Click Next on Active Directory
Installation summary page
- When Installation is complete click Finish
and Restart Now
If the LegacyExchangeDN is different than the default First Administrative Group
you must alter the LegacyExchangeDN on your recovery server. You can do this only after the
schema has been extended for Exchange.
- Log onto the recovery server as an Administrator
- Start menu > Run, browse to CD-Rom, select setup.exe From
Exch2000\Setup\I386 directory and click Ok
- After Install path type /Forestprep and click Okxxx